09 August 2007

Inside the Ancient City of Zaria

The Emir's Palace lies inside the ancient city of Zaria. Thousands of Nigerians still live and work within the walls.

Entrances are beautifully decorated.
House front 1
Housefront 2
Boy on porch

Although they definitely don't call it the ancient city because everything is new and modern. It only recently had gotten a paved road.
Buried Car
House and girls

Boy and laundry
Girls doing henna.
Henna
Henna closeup
The obligatory bike shot. I can't help but find these bikes and the settings in which they are parked fascinating.
Bike and door

Lori (my colleague out here in Nigeria) and I actually visited these cloth sellers back in May. I recently went back and they remembered my name and asked how Lori was doing. Since then, several other batures ("white" people or foreigners) have passed them in the marketplace and they all asked them how we were doing. Definitely a village atmosphere in the old city, everyone knows everyone. The cloth sellers were definitely a fascinating bunch to talk with. Well educated and well informed on world affairs. And yes, they care much for Bush either, hah!
Cloth Sellers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing T. I've returned from Uganda and back to work. Africa sure is a differnt place. When you come home, bring my heart, I seem to have left it there. Take care. -Marcella