11 June 2008

Renting from Jabba

Sorry for the lack of updates. Between getting sick, finding a place to live, and getting sick again, there hasn't been too much time. Finally feeling well enough to sit in air conditioned office and go online, I know, I know- I have it rough.

My first attempt at renting a room in New Delhi wasn't too successful. I was supposed to have a clean place to stay with aircon, satellite tv, and internet, and hot water (useless in New Delhi during summer, but it's the thought that counts). Of course there was some mix-up since "Jabba" (a name given to him by an Indian and not me, but oh so appropriate) the owner had my email address wrong and "accidently" re-booked my room for the next week or so.

Ok, a typical misunderstanding, I could just chill out in a hotel room for a week, which I did. And then he gave my room away again and had the nerve to tell me that I hadn't reconfirmed because he is a businessman! And then he attempted to charge me more then he initially said he would! If I wanted such a load of BS I'd go hang out with the cows on the streets. Now granted, it was a semi-decent place to stay (other than the mice and lack of windows- hence the Jabba-esque dungeon quality), but definitely not worth all that hassle and definitely not worth the price. And he didn't have a Princess Leia in a bikini equivalent (which obviously would have factored into any decisions).

Negotiating with Jabba the Hutt (artistic re-enactment below). I even used the Han Solo "now wait a minute, Jabba, we had a deal" line, hah.

Fortunately a friend pointed me to the Craigslist equivalent of New Delhi and within 1 day, I found a room in a brand new apartment 10 minutes away from work (with windows and a kitchen) that even has a balcony overlooking a park. Never trust "Jabbas" on any continent.

2 comments:

Jason Morrison said...

Love your photography! My wife and I are moving to New Delhi soon and staying for a few months. Would you be able to share the "Delhi craigslist" site you found helpful? Thanks!

T-Lo said...

Try Yuni-net, it's fantastic for Delhi. Best of luck, I was living out there very recently, you're in for an exciting time!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Yuni-Net/