23 October 2008

The Golden Temple

The Golden Temple is the holiest site for Sikhism and is one of my favorite places that I've been to in India. I know every tourist and their mother visits the Taj Mahal, but I personally like the Golden Temple much more! For one thing, it's an actual functional holy site that outsiders, both male and female alike, are more than welcome at. If you think about it, it's kinda morbid to go see a mausoleum too. Anyways...

Because it's a holy site, Sikh pilgrims are always visiting. One of the nice things about The Golden Temple is that everyone is fed. Check out the assembly line for washing dishes!

Washing Dishes
Washing Line

It's also one the cleanest place in India! Actual clean sinks to wash hands! If those two things in themselves don't make this place a "holy" site, I don't what would.
Washing Hands
Washing Hands 2

On approach, the Golden Temple is simply... stunning. People are in religious ecstasy.
Kate at the Entrance

The Golden Temple was completed in 1604. It's surrounded by a manmade lake called AmritSar (Lake of Holy Water or Immortal Nectar).
The Golden Temple

I liked how some of the local teenage boys liked to use it for their swimming pool. A guard would show up, chase them out, and the boys would walk to the other side and get back in. Cracked me up, although I couldn't blame them, it was hot!
Cooling in the Pool
Quick Dip

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulation on this NICE BLOG and beautiful Page.

visit :
http://heritageindiaonline.blogspot.com/