25 August 2009

Deja Vu?

When it comes to traveling, I've always been apprehensive about revisiting places that I've traveled to in years past. Memory is fluid and ethereal- how can the experiences of today possibly compete with the incredible ones (or at least how I remembered them to be) that took place so many years before? Would the water be as blue, the sunsets as golden, the people as friendly? And the overall feeling of a place be as exotic and romantic as what I imagined and remembered it to be like? Of course the people that I experienced it with would never be the same, but what about the place?

Photos of Zanzibar from 2000:
Public Transportation-
Public Transportation
Dolphin Tour-
Damn Dolphin Tour

Zanzibar is one my special places in the world, one where my memories loom so very large that they may be more a product of my imagination than actual events. It's somewhere that I've always dreamed of returning to, and it's close to a decade to the day since I was last there. I'll let the photos say the rest.

Zanzibari Wood-carved Door-
Zanzibar Door 1

Like a painting-
Like a Painting

Mr. Walker, peanut salesman
Mr. Walker the Peanut Seller

Sunset on Nongwe Beach-
Nongwe Sunset 1
Posts and Dhow

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As gorgeous as I remember. Another lifetime that I miss. Beautiful blog.