09 March 2010

Scenes From the Betwa River in Orchha

One of the popular tourist activities is to catch sunset along the Betwa River in Orchha. It was probably one of my favorite places to photograph. Of course you get the requisite postcard shot at sunset with the chhatris reflecting off the water in the background...

Across the Water
Sunset
Flexed Reflection

But to me, the far more interesting shots were to be had by turning around and photographing people going back and forth across the bridge.

Carrying Firewood from the Forests
From a Distance
Walking Across
Firewood
Posing with the Tourist(s)
Posing with the Tourist(s)
Bus Driving By
Bus-by
A Queue of Feet
Feet on the Bridge

There were a number of Sadhus also enjoying the sunset. Some were in deep philosophical conversations...
Deep Conversation
Others followed tourists around waiting for their photo to be taken (for a small fee naturally).
Picture Please
Sadhu Reflection
I figured I'd oblige...
Sadhu and Bridge

Out of all my photos in Orchha, I think I like these ones the best. Not really too sure why, but the soft glow at sunset and more importantly the warmth and friendliness of the people, give them a nice feel.
Down the Line
Down the Line
Watching Friends
Watching Friends

No comments: