24 August 2006

Farewell to the 'desh

Well, the time has come to say goodbye to Bangladesh. My STOP assignment is now over, and it'll be sad to leave it behind. I've made some good friends, and I have nothing but good memories. Despite Bangladesh being one of the most corrupt countries in the world, the people are genuinely warm and friendly- their government and public officials definitely are not representive of everyday Bangladeshis. I think I've been invited to drink so much tea with people, my blood type is now chai, hah.

Anyways, I couldn't possibly leave Bangladesh without taking some street photos one last time! Enjoy...

Street flooding
Flooding

School bus
Short bus?

The mysterious floating umbrella
Umbrella overhead

Pan seller
Pan seller

Cloth rider
On top of cloth

Karen was doing her best trying to blend in with the locals. I guess it worked since shopkeepers addressed her as "sister," a term for muslim women. Personally, I thought it was a good Jackie O impression, hah!
Jackie O sighting in the 'desh?

I couldn't tell if this buggy ride was for pleasure or for work. The carriages kind of looked like the ones that take tourist around Central Park, but they were overloaded with people and cargo like the rickshaws are. Go figure...
Buggy ride

Finishing up all his rice
Eating dinner

Butcher and his wares
Butcher and his meat

Street shave
Street shave 2
Street shave 1

Flowers for your memories?
Flower for you

No comments: