19 January 2006

Animal temples



rattemple

monkeytemp2

monkeytemp1




The "Rat temple" bills itself as the 8th wonder of the world. Definitely not for the squeamish, but it is a legimate temple among worshippers in India! I'm glad I had my rabies vaccination. Although, I think it might have actually been cleaner than the Monkey Temple outside of Jaipur. I think every livestock combination was there- monkeys, cows, sheep, goats, chickens- thrown in with little kids. Ugh... outbreak waiting to happen. The pathway to the temple is uphill next to a small hill that the monkeys like to wait and look down at everyone. Very very creepy. We were afraid that they would swarm us when we got out the bag of peanuts. Kinda like Custard's last stand.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Spoken like a true epidemiologist. At least there's some job security there!