18 January 2006

A camel named Rocket


safari3

safari2

safari1

camelfarm


No trip to Radjastan would be complete without a camel safari in the Thar Desert! I was initially very reluctant to get on a camel named "Rocket." Going fast is so NOT a good time, especially on an animal that rides more like a mechanical bull than a horse. Good thing Rocket moved slowly, although I soon found out why he had the nickname "Rocket" (actually Eric found out since he was riding behind me). Let's just say all that cud didn't do wonders for Rocket's digestive tract, it's the vegetables I'm telling you! Of all the camels I get stuck with, I get the nasty one. Not only did Rocket bite, his tail was tied since he had a habit of pissing on it and splashing everyone. Great...

I actually would have liked to been there when the locals were planning the first camel safari... "So let me get this straight, you want to wander around the desert in circles for a couple of days, ride our livestock, sleeping on our sand dunes, walking around our villages AND pay us for this?!" Hahaha... The camel safari was fun, got to meet up with some fun Koreans (Kamzaa!), and of course, it was beautiful in the desert. But I've had my camel-fill for now. I'm used to seeing them going round-abouts and stopped at traffic lights, the novelty is gone.

No comments: