05 March 2006

Chai, chai, chai!!!

Hospet train station

So I told the travel agent in Hampi that I wanted to travel across the country to India's east coast and eventually up north on my ways to the mountains. In all, about a 1500km journey. I asked him if I could break it up with several stops along the way. Unfortunately, I think something got lost in the translation, which is how I ended up on 35 hour train journey. Oh sure there were plenty of stops, for about an hour here, 12 hours there. Yep, I got bored, which is why you're looking at photos taken from inside the train.

I actually prefer traveling by train through India. Despite all the dust, noise, and that the train can smell like feet at times, it's easy to meet people and you can move about. And of course, it's a great way to see the countryside.

I usually take the sleeper class, the benches and the ride are usually comfortable enough (unless you happen to get the side bunk, which really sucks when you're 5'8 and the space is meant for someone closer to 5'6- it's not like I found that out during most of my 35 hour train trip or anything).
Train bunks

There are usually vendors passing through non-stop barking out their wares like peanut sellers at baseball games. They have everything you can ever possibly want- peanuts, popcorn, samosas, toys, and of course chai.
Scenes from the train

Night train shot

Girl on train

There are also a lot of beggars coming through the trains too including the Hijara, a Hindu caste made up of eunuchs and transgenders- basically men in the most elaborate saris you've ever seen. The seem to harass the Indian men and grope them until they pay them money, but thankfully they leave foreigners alone (although I've been cussed out by one for not paying them)!

No comments: