03 March 2006

Jetsetters in Hampi

So I couldn't figure out why the housekeepers were cleaning everything in the hut next to mine. They washed everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in the hut, doorways, windows- the works. They even used gold sequined sheets and nice pillows on the bed, which was even extra extra special, since having clean sheets is a luxury sometimes. It turns out the throngs of teenage girls dressed in their best saris were following my next-hut neighbors in Hampi, the Tollywood (not to be confused with Bollywood- Tollywood is further south) actors Allu Arjun and Jagapathi Babu.

Of course, being oblivious to Tollywood stars, I'm just glad I didn't ask them for an order of orange juice and banana pancakes or something. It turns out they were pretty nice guys, down to earth for being "celebrities." They even did yoga (well, watched for 10 minutes) with Nadia, also a traveller who happens to be a yoga instructor. They happened to be in Hampi to help build a shelter for a nearby temple. I guess if they want to go on vacation and not be recognized, hanging around foreign tourists would be ideal.

Yoga with Tollywood stars

Babu!

The more I think about it, I should have asked him what religions they follow. If all the Hollywood movie actors are converting to Scientology, Buddhism, and Kabbalism, do Indian movie stars become Mormon or Southern Baptists or something?

No comments: