04 June 2007

The lighter side of Nigerian villages...

This past week I've had the opportunity to go out to the field and join the medical students on their surveys of villagers. Of course I don't speak Hausa, so I'm not much use other than to provide entertainment to everyone and their second cousins in the village. I hope the children are teaching me the right greeting words, 'cause everyone seems to find it hillarious everytime I try to ask how their day is. At any rate, it did give me plenty of time to take photos!

Future mothers to be (more on this later)...
Future mothers

And like Bangladesh, there's no shortage of hams here! Yet again, feeling like the pied piper with my camera.
Ham
Posing

If I were an anthropologist, I'd probably study children's games. Everything that kids were playing were all similar to other places and what kids play in the US. I guess there's only so many things you can do outside. This looked a lot like jumping jacks to me.
Village jumping jacks
Friends

In the heat of the afternoon sun, the men would come back after working in the village to hang out and take a nap.
Siesta

The mango tree served as the informal village/town square and meeting/resting place.
Mango tree and bike

1 comment:

Karen said...

Ahhh.. was it the bike that attracted you to this shot? hehe! Beautiful my friend. Once again.