18 July 2007

Market Days 2

Stalls everywhere in Nigeria sell my favorite food... souya! Ah yes, the sweet bbq goodness of meat on a stick. Anything that tastes that good charred can't possibly make me sick, hah. Seriously though, souya has been a main staple of my Nigerian diet.
Souya!
Campus Souya

And for you veggie lovers, plenty of fresh produce to go around.
Shika Veggie Sellers
I've eaten so much roasted corn, I think it's coming out of my ears now.
Corn Roasters

We affectionately call this local store 7-11 right outside our compound. They have every possible thing you could want and they're open late. I wouldn't hold my breath on the slurpees though.
Nigerian 7-11

It does, however, sell such authentic Nigerian food items like...

I swear, between Ramen and souya, my diet here in Nigeria has digressed to that of my undergrad years.

Most locals also buy drinking water in little plastic bags. Nigerian bagged water has also jumped on the flavored water bandwagon, although not intentionally. Through osmosis, they come in exciting authentic Nigerian street flavors like peanuts, smoke, and dirt. I'm going to store them next to some mangos and pineapples.


And if street food isn't working for me, I can always head for the golden 'B'. Mr. Biggs is the local fastfood chain as well as the all important classy date place to take university coeds. If you're broke, it's a souya date. If you have Naira, it's Mr. Biggs all the way, woo-hoo!



Then of course, there's other authentic local Nigerian eateries as well...
French cafe
Chinese food
(and yeah, the food passed the Chinese restaurant criteria test- they had red chairs, other Chinese were actually eating there, and the bathroom floor was sticky. Steamed rice though was $4 a bowl!)

No comments: