08 July 2008

Scenes from Rural Uttar Pradesh

My project in India has taken me to the field quite a bit (more on this later). Of course it's a fantastic time to drag along my camera since I'm usually in places that no "tourists" to India would ever go.

Life can vary between hard work and lots of downtime. It's very shanti ("peaceful") in the villages, and as usual, people are incredibly warm and friendly. You can't tell from the photos though since I'm guessing it's a cultural thing not to smile for the camera (or either that they're really annoyed with me...).

Relaxing at the choupal- old men like to gather, talk about current events, and play cards. The young'uns working the fields during the day usually join later in the evening.
Relaxing
At the choupal

Boy and toy
Toy
Against the blue wall
Blue Wall
Posse Posing
Washed rugs
Washed Rugs
Fat happy baby
Happy Baby

Carting the crops into town
Ox and Cart

No comments: