01 February 2006

Quest for the Shiva temples

Keeping in the spirit of doing physically stupid things while travelling, I decided to go on a 30K ride on this 30 pound beast of scrap iron, made in China, 1 gear and only 1 gear clunker to small villages outside of Pushkar to find some Shiva temples. I couldn't even get this damn thing to go uphill much less go over the sandy spots in the road!

Upward path

What I found instead were missing padding on the bike rubbing at spots that were already missing padding from the camel safari weeks ago. No Shiva temples in sight. That's ok though, what I ended up doing was playing an authentic game of cricket with the locals, they made me "bowl" (pitch). I can't say I know what I'm doing, but I do know the guy in red was trying to show me up by crowding the "plate" and hitting the ball before it bounced. I "bowled" him high and tight Roger Clemens style and ended up beaning him off head. Everyone was howling in delight. Guess Cricket and baseball aren't so different games afterall...

Cricket with the locals

No comments: