20 February 2006

Scenes from Goa

The state of Goa in India was once a Portugese colony and retains much of that heritage. There are definitely times walking around in Goan cities where I felt like I wasn't in the "real" India but somewhere in Europe or Latin America because of the heavy Portugese/Catholic influence.

Doorway fruitsellers

Scenes from Arambol Beach, Goa.
Beach cows

Checking nets at sunset

Boy and headstand

Old Goa was a city that was to rival Lisbon in grandeur. An epidemic led to the town eventually being abandoned as the capital of Goa. All that remains are beautiful "old" (by western standards, usually 17th century) churches and cathedrals.
Church of St Francis of Assisi
Cathedral interior
Cathedral floor stone
Basilica of Bom Jesus
Ruins and bike

These next photos made me laugh out loud when I saw them around town. These made me realize I was definitely still in India.
Showerhead Mermaid
Showerhead mermaid
Blooming Dales
Blooming Dales
World Heritage picnic site
World heritage picnic site

I know it's probably a sacrilage and I shouldn't be poking fun of it, but I'm not sure what I found funnier. A plastic Jesus shrine (that probably should have had Buddy Christ instead) on painted floating clouds or that it had a locking gate to "protect" it.
Plastic Jesus shrine

No comments: