29 May 2006

First impressions

Wow, what a world of difference between backpacking around and staying in grubby $4 guesthouses and $100 hotels. I'm set up in the Beverly Hills area of Bangladesh around the embassies, so my first impressions of Bangladesh are probably waaaay biased.

I had my laundry done in the hotel, and I'm still in awe how they came back.
Packed laundry
I have to snicker a little. Yep, these are the same exact clothes that spent the past 4 months in India being beaten and washed in the river with the elephants, oxen, and people bathing. They actually bagged and sealed my socks and boxers. Quality!

I really love all the exotic fruit in semi-tropical/tropical environments. All the great stuff you can't get at home. I bought a genuine Bangladeshi apple, but then I looked closer... Dang it!
Bangladeshi apple

One of the favorite things I love to do is to take roadside photographs. What I mean by that is that I'll just randomly take photos of street life while passing by in a rickshaw. Most of the time I just get blurry photos of asphalt, but every now and then I get some interesting shots.
At the red light
Ear check

Someone told me once before, never to ride in buses with lots of dents 'cause it's likely they'll put a few more in them. If that's the case, looks like I'll be hiring a car in Bangladesh!
On the bus 3
On the bus

Doesn't matter where in the world you are, kids love videogames.
Arcade

I'm not sure what the deal is with fried chicken, but this city has more rip-offs of KFCs than anyplace else in the world.
FFC
Finger lickin' good

There's this park near the embassies that joggers like to go to. They actually have an instruction and rules board posted, and huge arrows since joggers are only supposed to go in one direction. Cracked me up. Found the 50 male assistants and camera crew to one glamorous Bangladeshi actress equally funny too. Especially when all the guys were giving me the thumbs up sign.
Lights, cameras

This photo of a beggar and a street dog is actually from India, but I thought I'd throw it in here anyways.
Belly rub
That's one of the odd things about Bangladesh so far, no stray animals. Haven't seen any cats, dogs, goats, cows, sheep, chickens, rats lately. I kinda miss them.

This guy on the left was showing off his nifty MP3 player to me.
Friends?
He insisted that I walk around for a bit listening to his tunes. And what did he have playing? Frickin' Celine Dion singing the Titanic love theme. Damn! I didn't want to offend him, so I just forced a grin and discretely hit the forward button, and what came on next? Richard Marx's crappy lovesong from the early 90's. Double damn! So far, that's one thing I really dislike about Bangladesh, they love their muzak. For those of you who don't know what muzak is, basically you take any crappy love song from the past 20 years...

... have it being completely played on an electronic keyboard synthesizer

(I always have a repulsive visual of it being Yanni for some odd reason), and there you have it, muzak.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked really close at that picture of your laundry, but I didn't see your boxer shorts. Kenty got very excited when he saw the apple. We didn't look at any other exotic pictures.

Anonymous said...

It's not strange there are no stray animals. Anything that can't run faster than a human is eaten. And what do you have against love songs anyway. That last touching scene in "Titanic" still makes me cry.