09 April 2006

The best $4 I have ever spent / Lazy in Laos

The best $4 I have ever spent

So the other day I took the overnight bus from Bangkok, Thailand to Vientienne, Laos. Yep, that was a long ride, and an even longer wait at the border. For some reason, they couldn't stamp our passport or issue visas without electricity, go figure. At any rate, we had to get off the bus to go get our visas, but I forget my mp3 player on the bus. It had all my digital photos stored on it! Good thing, the drivers found it, I offered to buy them breakfast, but all they wanted was beer. Glad they switched drivers at the border.

Mekong river border
Border river

The Thai/Laos border is quite secure by the way, I walked back and forth 4 times in front of the "guards" and no one cared. Go figure... maybe I can pass for a local after all.

Laos border


Lazy Laos

Anyways, here are some scenes from sleepy Laos. I went straight to town of Vang Vieng, a town with nothing to do except watch Friends episodes on guesthouse televisions, float down the river in innertubes, and soak in the casual Laos way of life...

My first kip million!
1,000,000 kips

Biking to school

Sleepy cat

Drivein carwash-
River car wash

Bridge crossing

The swimming lagoon
Falang swimming hole

Lagoon sunset

Laos bus

Scooter

No comments: