19 April 2006

Go Speed Racer, Go!

So we only had 4 days left in Laos, we wanted to make it to the Thai/Laos border to live in a treehouse and zip across the rainforest canopy with gibbons (another story for another day), but it's a 2 day bus or a 2 day slow boat along the Mekong river journey away. So what did we do? Take a 7-hour speedboat ride of course! It seemed like such a perfect solution at the time...

Speed boat to Huang Xiay

Yes, yes... we were all staring in disbelief. You see, when someone says "speedboat," I automatically think of hydrofoils or some other sleek watercraft straight out of Miami Vice. I wasn't expecting something that looked like it was a high school woodshop project where you are 2 inches above the water.

Speed boat to Huang Xiay (close)

The boats were funny enough, but having to wear the Speed Racer-like helmets made it all that more surreal. I'm not too sure what the styrofoam would have protected when we're flying down the Mekong at 70+ kph...
Speed boat helmets

Speed boat stop

And I honestly think there is more leg room on those kiddie ride boats at an amusement park that go in circles in 2 inches of water. Knee to chin for 7 hours on a wooden bench isn't fun! Still haven't completely gained all the feeling yet in my backside.

Once I got over my initial fear of us hitting something in the river, the scenery along the Mekong river was actually spectacular.

Boys fishing
Mekong boat
View from the speedboat
Mekong morning

I actually have a videoclip of us zipping along the water at 40 or 50 mph but I will have to post it later.

No comments: